On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

How hard is it to understand that the PMC Chair has no role (slight
hyperbole)? If the PMC Chair is a visible role, the community is already in
trouble.  The only role that a PMC Chair normally fills is getting the
quarterly report filed.  And this is why I feel strongly that we are
discussing the wrong thing to do.

I don't know that I agree completely with you about the role of PMC Chairs - sometimes a good PMC chair helps a project quite a bit....

Projects should not be trained to rely upon an individual; they should be trained to act collaboratively.

This is a very convincing argument to me, especially since people without open source experience are already trained to look for who's in charge.

Count me as mulling it over some more....

Ted