Sanjiva,

It's pretty clear from all the conversations during Apachecon that
folks don't believe in people who are wearing their Apache hats or at
least us when we wear one. It's also clear at least to me that they
don't want any input or rather interference in matters technical
either (at least learn from our mistakes!), at least till the current
merger is done by which time its too late to align some of the efforts
with ongoing work in ws land. I'm completely baffled by the definition
of community too. Apparently its ok to get folks inolved who have made
zero contributions to either codebase BUT wrong to inolve people whose
code you want to use (as mentioned in the proposal
wss4j/xmlschema/neeti).

Anyways, In Hani's famous words...Why bother?

-- dims

On 7/19/06, Dan Diephouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 21:38 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> Jason,
>>
>> I am +1 for the project, overall.
>>
>> I do suggest that we start out with the PPMC of you and the other Mentors,
>> have you bring Dan and other appropriate people onto the PMC as your first
>> order of business, and them go about selecting Committers.  From what I
>> recall at ApacheCon, there was some uncertaintly about the current roster,
>> so let's allow the PPMC to review and address as appropriate.
>>
>> As was discussed at ApacheCon EU, I hope that the project will continue
>> efforts to collaborate with the rest of the Web Services community at the
>> ASF, because I hate to see wasted, redundant, effort when collaboration is
>> possible.  And it certainly appears from discussion that they are willing to
>> explore any number of options.
>>
>> So give it your best effort, and good luck.  :-)
>>

> +1 Noel. I'd like to join the PPMC too as an interested party observer.
> I will poke my nose in as a mentor when possible but don't have the
> cycles to commit to it.
Hi Sanjiva,

I'm confused, you're saying you don't have the time to commit to it, but
you want to be one? Mentors have some very concrete responsibilities:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor

While I value your feedback and input, if you don't have enough time, I
don't understand why you should be a mentor. We have 4 mentors already,
and from a logistical standpoint I find it hard to keep up with. Each
mentor tends to have a different opinion or different input.  While more
input can be great, it can easily get to the point of overload and
impedes Getting Stuff Done. :-)

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse