i am getting a lot of mixed messages here. we have been told that
-incubating is nothing more then a tag that the project is in the incubator
and does not at all reflect the quality of the release nor its readiness for
production use, but following is the opposite view taken from the maven2
repo thread on this list.

i think ASF needs to get its stuff together when it comes to letting in
existing projects into the incubator. certain concessions need to be made
that will accomodate both existing developer base as well as the existing
userbase and minimize the pain to all parties involved.

wicket might be a good example and a chance for ASF incubator to learn of
the needs of these existing projects that want to join ASF and how to best
accomodate them.

just thinking out loud :)

here is the snippet from the maven2 thread i was referring to.

On 7/31/06, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
James Strachan wrote:

> Right now its hurting users of incubating projects not to have a maven
> 2 repository of the actual releases made by the projects.

Most users should not be using Incubator code.  Only those who are
committed
and willing to trust that the project will do well here and eventually
become an ASF project.

Remember that most people don't believe that Incubator projects should
even
have a user@ list, only a dev@ list.

        --- Noel