On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 06:03:52PM -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Has anyone ever considered making IRC chats available (on some basis)
> as an Apache archive?

Some apache projects that do you use IRC do keep archives. Things like
#asfinfra are not archived on purpose and will stay unarchived.

> Seems that Apache (myself included) doesn't
> like IRC so much because it is not available to those of us who
> because of time zone or other reasons can't attend.

Yup. And reading IRC archives sucks, so asynchronous communication is
much harder :)

> If it's added to an Apache archive, it is searchable and immediately
> available to search engines.

And that's one concern often raised. People that use IRC tend to be more,
ehm, frank, and reading back an IRC log later will often stir up things that
don't deserve stirring up.

> Surely Web 2.0 has solved this simple issue!
>
> ?

Projects could simply chuck the logs in SVN and publish them on their
website. Other projects post transcripts to mailing lists.

> On Aug 9, 2006, at 3:49 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

Not just "logged". They actually need to be made there. You cannot arrive
at a decision on IRC and then just notify the project.

> >>But I certainly have
> >>no objections for the channel being there.
> >
> >Right.  It's nicer for more casual conversation.  Sometimes it's
> >easier for
> >real-time interaction as well.
> >
> >As another idea, we could try to do a developer Skype chat or
> >something.  I
> >think the Tapestry folks did it once and it sounded like kind of a
> >neat
> >idea.  I know my interaction with just about everyone here has been
> >email
> >only.

Be careful -- skype is not available to everyone (eg people running
solaris or bsd). At least IRC is an open protocol.

LSD