Because projects get killed/nuked as they don't have enough legs to
stand on literally. You are assuming that every project makes it. It
doesn't. We have to let people know that they are making a conscious
choice by making it difficult.

thanks,
dims

On 3/15/07, Bruce Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
n 3/15/07, Davanum Srinivas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> #1) This is by design. We don't want to make it easy.

This is what I really don't understand. Why must it be so difficult
for users of the incubating projects?

Daniel's summation of the situation is very accurate. All the separate
repository does is make user's lives more difficult in many ways. IMO,
marking project versions with 'incbuating' is enough. However,
Niclas's suggestion to use a package name of
org.apache.incubator.<project> for incubating projects sounds like a
good one as well.

As I understand it, the Incubator exists for legal purposes and for
projects to learn The Apache Way. Why must the Incubator policies be
so restrictive as to make the download of incubating artifacts so
difficult?

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/