On Thursday 15 March 2007 12:26, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Also, are you advocating that all incubator snapshots go to the
> central repo??? you will have #2 and #3 anyways even if we publish the
> released artifacts to central repo.

God no.  SNAPSHOTs either stay at apache (but work with infrastructure to
find an appropriate home) or get synced to repo1.maven.org, but in a
separate location (other than /maven2) where deletes would actually
occur.

Maven treats SNAPSHOTS differently than releases.   If the repository
entry is properly configured (big IF BTW), it will only look at the
SNAPSHOT repository if you actually ask for a SNAPSHOT.   Since using
SNAPSHOT's is usually discouraged, the hit count would be lower.
That's why 404's are 80% of the incubator repository, but only 25% of
the SNAPSHOT repository.

> One more thing, If you are end user downloading a released incubator
> artifact, how many times does maven down load it into their local hard
> disk repo from p.a.o? please say just once.

Once.   But a lot of automated builds (cruisecontrol, etc...) may wipe
out their ~/.m2/repository dir for each build for reliability checks.
Also, a lot of developers periodically do the same to clean it out,
remove old versions, etc...

SNAPSHOT's get downloaded once, but once a day it does check to see if
there is a new version.

The other complication is that if there are artifacts in central that are
missing their poms, it gets checked every build.   That IS a bug in
maven that is logged in jira.   It's also a bug in the projects that
supply those artifacts.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp