Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Garrett Rooney wrote:

The mirror system makes this an essentially unsolvable problem.

And in addition to all of your other valid points, there is the problem of
having a a farm of caching proxies on the ISP side of the net, leading to
the seemingly odd case that the more popular a download, the less likely you
are to get a good count, because the more likely it is to be served from the
caching proxies.
        --- Noel

One confusion I have: If we count "clicks" on the download link, it seems that even if that link led to a "mirror" page, it would count pretty accurately (except of course if a person clicked to download, and then didn't bother going through with it). I guess it would also miss the case where people somehow found their way to a download mirror *without* going through the project download page. Did I miss something, or would this give a "reasonable" estimate of downloads?

-Marshall