Yoav Shapira wrote:

> I voted +0, not having had time to review the proposed committer's
> contributions.

+1 != +0

> I always thought (and the documentation at
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html) says PPMC votes are
> binding.

It says (P), and the (P) clearly does not belong.  Notice that elsewhere it
properly says PPMC, with no (), and the places that are wrong were PMC to
which someone added (P).  Likewise "IPMC" should simply be PMC.  There is
only one PMC: the Incubator PMC.

I don't know how to say this more clearly.  The PPMC is not a recognized
entity in the ASF Bylaws.  The PMC is the legal entity, and only PMC votes
count in any ASF project.  PPMC members should still vote, as can other
members of the community, but as a legal matter, only PMC votes are binding.
This is not Incubator policy, it is how the ASF works.

It is the same in Jakarta, for example, where any Jakarta Committer who
isn't on the PMC can vote, but only Jakarta PMC votes count.  For years
people didn't understand this, but please understand that Jakarta is the
source of many of the wrong and bad practices in ASF projects that didn't go
through either the HTTP Server project or the Incubator.

> the documentation link above is out of date.

It was never "in date".  It is wrong, regardless of date.

        --- Noel