I'll say "Generally Soft".  There are a couple of classes that require
bouncy to compile, but their use is entirely optional.  Two of the
classes are example code that is only shipped in source form -- we test
compile the examples before shipping them.  The other classes are
optional utility classes that are shipped as part of the optional
security module.  Other crypto providers can be used as an alternative
and it would literally only take a couple of minutes to remove the
compile-time dependency.

- James