Hi,

Some of the discussion here to me seems to be backward: adding constraints to the entry of a podling to the incubator.

I'd hope that we could get podlings, including all of their current community, into the incubator and then actively mentor/monitor its activities to promote diversity and openness. It may be quite time- consuming, if possible at all, to try to analyze a proposed podling's alignment with Apache's values, especially if the only metrics we have are the proposed podling's committer list.

During incubation, diversity and openness have to be evaluated to see if the community has achieved its goals prior to graduation. If the community was not diverse at entry, and has not attracted outside committers, then it doesn't graduate. These goals are well-defined in the incubation process.

Bottom line, I'd rather see the focus on achieving diversity goals on the way to graduation, not on raising barriers to entry into incubation.

A couple of additional comments below...