Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 10:09 AM, Thilo Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>> Your distribution must correspond to subversion, otherwise it's very hard
>>> to track the artifacts in the tarball,...
>
>> That's not how I interpret the policy document....
>
> You might be right about the letter of the policy document, but all
> kinds of alarms go off in my brain when I see a distribution tarball
> that doesn't match the SVN tag that it's built from.
>
> Automated reproducible builds (including building distribution
> archives) are IMHO a must in our way of working.

Absolutely.  Our build is completely automated and reproducible,
including generating the distribution.  Here's (a slightly simplified
version of) our build script:

svn checkout $tag
cd $leveldir/uimaj
mvn -Duima.build.date="`date`" install
cd ..
cd uimaj-distr
mvn assembly:assembly

This does everything from svn extract to building the
release artifacts (except the signing, that requires
some manual intervention because of the release manager's
key phrase).  I don't think it gets much simpler
than that.

However, I don't think that addresses your concerns.
AIUI, you would like our repository to look exactly like
the source distribution.  Well, it almost is, except for
the files in the top level directory.  Those get copied
there when we build the distribution.  Why?  I guess
we thought it's cleaner that way, and complies with
maven's notion of organizing things.  For example,
the NOTICE file lives in uimaj-distr/src/main/readme.
It's still there in the source distribution, but it's
also at the top level.

Now if we absolutely must, we can change that.  I do
admit that I don't quite understand the reason, though,
and like it better the way it is ;-)

--Thilo