"Noel J. Bergman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> When forking Apache licensed code, one does _not_ need to change the
>> package name, or anything else in the source code.  One arguably
>> shouldn't then re-publish the binaries or source as "Apache Foo" [1], but
>> the code itself can use the same namespace.
>
>> there is no legal requirement to [rename the package space]
>
> Again, unless you've a law degree that I missed recently and are ASF
> counsel of record, I would suggest that no one attempt to dispense
> legal advice.

Didn't get the law degree yet.  :-)

Sorry if I came across short to anyone.  I _did_ read the whole thread
before responding and I have forwarded a note to legal-discuss and
prc.  The legal committee has previously been tasked with a "fork" FAQ
that would cover this and the PRC team is currently working on a
"trademarks" FAQ that should also cover this.

I agree that the "proper" thing for forks to do is change the
namespace and it's reasonable to (politely) request this.  However,
beyond a request we're on shaky grounds.

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905