On Feb 1, 2008 2:32 PM, Mark Slee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Following up on what David sent out yesterday, I think we're all on
> board with having a single committers pool based upon mutual trust and
> respect.
>
> However, dropping parts of the code feels counterproductive to me, as I
> think it might put up a perceived barrier to collaboration with the
> Thrift project. Alternate language bindings were one of the main things
> we were really hoping to see come from the open source community, and
> we'd like to make sure this continues to be a really approachable thing.
> We wouldn't want developers to feel like their changes to Thrift won't
> be accepted without an up front investment of time building reputation
> in the Thrift community.
>
> I think reverting and reapplying these changes creates another risk.
> Developers would have incentive to keep some language-specific changes
> to themselves and not share them, simply because it would be more
> efficient, not because they are philosophically opposed to open source
> or sharing their changes at all.
>
> And to be quite frank, it feels very counterproductive to me to remove
> code from the project with full a priori intention of putting it back
> in. We'd rather focus on keeping development open and moving forwards.
> Removing people's code from the project could send an insulting and
> negative message.

I tend to agree with your observation. There have been donations in the past
that weren't completely clear in term of IP at the time the incubation
started and that have been cleared later on. IP cleanup is actually one of
the main purpose of the incubator. So I don't think this is a roadblock for
incubation even though it definitely is one for an official Apache release
and you'll need to clear up the remaining issues *before* being able to
release.

I would also advise the creation of a page somewhere listing the parts of
the code that have unclear IPs as well as their respective status for the
sake of transparency and to keep track of the evolution. If you already have
a good idea of what these parts are, maybe this could even be included in
the proposal?

Cheers,
Matthieu