On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> There seems to be some concern in Commons that committers are a threat
> to the existing codebase.

I know the concerns you mention and felt them very much in the
discussion about JSch. But, at least for me personally, I don't think
that's my concern.

Commons is working *now*. Just as Jakarta was working once. But
Commons will most likely no longer work when it is growing too much.
And the things discussed here (making Commons the target of many new
subprojects, which aren't integrated into Commons, thus must likely
will never be) are clearly implying this danger. That's not about
external committers. It is about too many committers.

> I am still of the opinion that it can be handled within Commons, with
> IP Clearance registrations at the Incubator.

Disagreed. Assuming that the Incubator changes its policy to have
projects exiting without community: Why can't another project be the
target (depending on the projects topic, of course). Why should this
be so special to Commons?

Jochen

--
I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone.

    -- (Bjarne Stroustrup,
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#really-say-that
       My guess: Nokia E50)