On 28-Apr-09, at 1:24 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com> wrote:

Not mocking, just clarifying that on the aggregate level what is distributed via the standard Apache mechanism easily has its analog source equivalent
which can be built.

Ok, I think we are in general agreement. Are you personally of the
opinion that -sources.jar are not adequate as formal ASF releases?

They are not, they do not need to be, and they would be useless for the purpose they serve. As long as the main distributables (like these at http://apache.org/dist/maven/) are accompanied by a source distribution which can be built.

have the opinion it is currently not, but I don't mind seeing a
change...

Right now the -sources.jars produced work with the default configurations of all the IDEs, if you want to figure out how to change all the IDEs then you're welcome to tackle that. I can tell you the number of users who have asked to be able to build from a - sources.jar over the last 5 years though. That would be zero.

What is found at http://apache.org/dist/maven/ I believe is sufficient and adding the requirement of self-building -sources.jar is not required. That's not what their primary purpose is. A standard assembly descriptor that produced a standard Apache release from the top-level of a directory structure would be useful.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er