Henning, I asked some specific questions on the source release over at legal-discuss, can we consolidate the requirements gathering over there?

Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
Calm down, Jason. No one was attacking Maven.

The Apache Software Foundation requires a project (not just an incubator
podling. All projects) to release source in a form that can be used to
recreate the binaries.

For the current state of the Shindig release, this is not possible. Noone
was saying anything else.

For Apache, we release source code that is immediately consumable to users
by downloading an artifact from our servers through www.apache.org/dist and
potentially be able to rebuild the artifact.

In general, this is a tarball / zip of the contents of a Subversion tag.

Everything beyond that is

- optional
- a convenience to our users

This especially goes to

- binary archives (whether these are .jar archives in Java or Binary builds
for a platform in non-Java land)
- source/javadoc in another, better consumable form for IDEs

Supporting these is nice to users, but the required part is the tarball that
I can go into and say <build-command> (be it ant, maven or make) and get
something that can be used.

This is not the case for Shinig in its current state. Whether this is
acceptable or not to the Incubator PMC members is another question.

    Ciao
        Henning