On Tue 11 Aug 2009 11:28, Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Niclas. Very appropriate material. This very clearly draws a
> distinction between the terms "leader" (as I have been attempting to
> use it) and "manager" (by which I would never describe myself).
>
> IMO, successful projects (including those at ASF) need leadership, not
> "management". So describing myself, or any other committer, as a
> "leader" is not an attempt to assert authority or otherwise. It is
> simply a means of describing a level of committment.

+1

Projects need people who make decisions and push the code forward, these
people are leaders.  But that forward direction needs to be done with
the awareness, consent and respect by the rest of the committers.  We
don't want to discourage the energy of someone's vision and volunteer
work.  At the same time, we need to balance the goal of having many
contributors peer review the work and collaborate so that in the long
run, the success of the project is not dictacted by any one person.

If anything, we can say, projects need leaders, they don't need a
project management position.

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁