Traditionally the "leadership" comes from the membership
of the Project Management Committee.  People tend to take
on a variety of roles within a project, some being more
leader-follower type roles and others revolving around a
small team that shares collective control over direction
of the project.  We tend to prefer the latter over the former.

Of course. This inevitably produces a stronger end result.

Those micro-structures aren't formally recognized as they
tend to change over time and can be percieved as diminutive
to people occupying less leadership type roles.

To me, it's not a question of formal recognition but de facto status (which may, and is likely to, change over time).