OK, then I'll try to provide more clarification. I don't understand how a project without leadership can succeed. I don't care what you call it, someone needs to drive the process. I'm not talking about an implication of authority or a higher degree of ownership - I'm talking strictly about making things happen. If that's not a "leader", then what is it, in ASF terms?

Note that "leader" does not necessarily mean "singular" (i.e. "dictator"). Most projects have multiple leaders. IMO, a project without a "leader" (or leaders), will go nowhere.

On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

----- Original Message ----

From: Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 11:12:36 PM
Subject: Re: incorrect terminology: lead developers

We don't have a notion of fixed leadership at Apache.  Leadership is
always welcome but it is determined by the will of the group in question at a given point in time, not based on one's official status. We try to avoid status symbols in order to retain the fair balance of individual
decision making within our projects.

Of course. My issue is with the idea that a project can be successful in the absence of any kind of leadership. So maybe some clarification on terminology is
in order...

I thought David's explanation that we don't us the phrase "project leads"
at Apache was fairly straightforward ;-).