----- Original Message ----

Are you trying to tell me that both jakarta and httpd have been in violation
of Apache bylaws all these years?

> If the  PPMC has 3 or more PMC members, it should be capable of mustering  the
> necessary votes by virtue of those PMC members voting.
>
> Now, if the  ASF Board would like to approve a different behavior, I'd accept
> that, but I  don't believe that a PMC should take it on itself to skirt ASF
> Bylaws, and  we've tried very hard to structure the Incubator within them.

Amongst current board members are the ex-chair of Jakarta and an ex-chair
of httpd.  I would love to see you bring your concerns to the board about
their past conduct regarding new committers.

The fact that committers have no legal standing in this org means there is
no reason a "decision" made about them needs formal approval by a PMC.
Your reading of the corporate structure of this org is needlessly formal.

> > The  second idea is more controversial: to hold IPMC votes to
> > admit all  significant committers to those projects to the IPMC
> > itself.  The  purpose of this concept is to allow those who
> > best know the codebase to  provide IPMC oversight over it,
> > especially as it pertains to  releases.
>
> -1
>
> The Incubator PMC, unlike other PMCs, isn't  preoccupied with the codebase;
> it is about community.  And even with  respect to code, we have far too much
> experience with projects attempt to put  out improper releases to abandon our
> oversight obligations.

I'm actually sugggesting we *enhance* our oversight capabilities,
not abandon them.