On 8/18/10 12:24 AM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
<snip/>
I'm with Stefano there: I do contest the view that svn is the
release,
You can contest, but the fact is that a release is just a revision in the SVN trunk, not a package you deliver, AFAIU. I suggest that you read carefully this : http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
and more specifically the last paragraph :

" The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All releases are in the form of the *source materials* needed to make changes to the software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might not have the appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the source. In all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the *same version number* as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling that version of the source code release"

In other word, the release *is* the SVN revision that has been voted.

but let's leave that for another thread. I'm watching the
issue and perhaps I'll restore the LICENSE file on top of the tree.
Please do. If you are not convinced by the complex wording used by the Apache site, just have a look at every ASF project, you will see that the LICENSE file is present in each trunk and tag.

It's also explicitly written on http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice.

At least, I would suggest that you restore the file, then discuss the rationale for this file being present or not on another thread:)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,