On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> He says should, not must.  Mailing lists are contribution
> mechanisms as well (per the license), so patches submitted
> there which aren't marked "Not a contribution" are acceptable.
> Jira's checkbox is the belt and suspenders approach.

The original question didn't mention mailing lists. It didn't mention any
specifics at all. I reported the practice on the projects I'm familiar with.
In some of them, JIRA is the critical mechanism for patch review -- even for
people with commit access! In others, it's just the standard means for
people to submit patches. JIRA makes it harder to miss a patch. A JIRA with
a patch sits there where you can get it on a list of JIRAs that are
unresolved. A patch just sent to a mailing list might just disappear into
the ether.

However, I thank Joe for pointing out that I was careful to avoid stating a
requirement when I didn't know that one existed.

I've never hung out on an ASF project that (still) used email patches as the
common practice, so I was unaware of it.

So, if you asked me, I'd say that using JIRA or BZ items is good
organizational hygiene, giving more people visibility into the process and
making it harder to drop a good contribution on the floor -- but if you have
a working system involving an official mailing list, you have a working
system.

On the other hand, I think that we all agree that a patch mailed by personal
email to a committer who commits it is not a good thing.