On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 19:41 -0400, Benson Margulies wrote:

> > This seems a very workable approach - going through Jira for everything
> > is too much work on the part of the contributer.
>

> On the one hand, I want to stand off and let any community make its own way
> within the light constraints of the license policy. On the other hand, I am
> honestly mystified by this. It takes about two minutes to make a JIRA. If
> the contributor can't spare those two minutes, how are they having time to
> make a patch at all? On CXF, or Lucene, I've never seen anyone complain that
> attaching JIRAs to patches was in any respect a barrier.
>
> Perhaps this is because I'm accustomed, at both my day job and on several
> Apache projects, to seeing JIRA as the central organizing tool of everything
> that gets done. If there isn't a JIRA, it doesn't exist. I suppose if you
> see JIRA as this 'over there' irritant containing complaints from users then
> it would seem a waste of time to use it for patch management.

If someone who has never used Jira turns up with a one line tweak,
sending them to Jira could require 15 minutes of their time to create an
account, choosing yet another password, recording it somewhere, working
out which project to put the bug in, which component, what all the boxes
mean.

This is all stuff that takes MUCH more effort than saying "this tweak
fixed it for me" on a mailing list, if you've never used Jira before.

Upayavira