On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...It takes about two minutes to make a JIRA. If
> the contributor can't spare those two minutes, how are they having time to
> make a patch at all?...

> ...Perhaps this is because I'm accustomed, at both my day job and on several
> Apache projects, to seeing JIRA as the central organizing tool of everything
> that gets done. If there isn't a JIRA, it doesn't exist...

I think that's the key in this discussion: if a project considers JIRA
their central organizing tool, it's fine to require patches to go
there.

If another project prefers patches on the dev list, that also works,
though JIRA helps make the "intentional contribution" bit more
explicit.

In both cases, authors of "substantial contributions" (whatever that
means) need to  have an iCLA on file.

-Bertrand