Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com> wrote on 06/07/2011 02:40:01 PM:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM,  <robert_w...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Since this is a large download, I wonder whether the quoted numbers
are
> > impacted at all by timeouts, abandoned downloads attempts, etc.  In
other
> > words, is it counting the HTTP GET's?  Or the successful downloads?
 That
> > may influence the load by quite a bit.  It may even make it worse.
>
> It is most likely the number of redirects that the MirrorBrain
> software makes to download servers. You should take a look at what
> MirrorBrain does, it's open source, err, free software :)
>
> > And let's not even get started on the burst traffic when a major new
> > release is announced.
> >
> > Of course, this is not necessarily a problem for Apache.  Think of it
this
> > way.  It would be perfectly possible, and actually quite easy for
someone
> > to host the files with a scalable cloud storage provider, e.g.,
Amazon,
> > and charge $0.99 for the download, the cost of an iPhone app.   That
is
> > over $30 million/year.  Heck, I might just do that myself and retire!
> >
> > In any case, you can see how this problem solves itself given the
Apache
> > 2.0 license.
>
> You know, there is this large and interesting community of maintainers
> of mirrors of open source software.
>
> A fair share of them are your typical beard stroking [1] uber
> experienced unix [2] system administrators who maintain a local mirror
> for their company / campus / ISP mostly so that their local users are
> served from their local infrastructure, saving on the bandwidth bill
> of their uplink and keeping their users happy.
>
> The art of software mirroring is mostly in making friends with these
> folks and then staying friendly to them and keeping them happy and
> well-fed and rsynced.

I appreciate this Leo.  Let me clarify how I'm reasoning about these
questions when they arise regarding the proposal.  I'm not necessarily
advocating for a particular solution to the problem. I'm just pointing out
that there is at least one plausible solution that does not seem to
violate any natural or manmade laws, one that conforms with the Apache
license, and that therefore the original issue as raised should not block
us from entering incubation.  In other words, I disprove the assertion
that this is an issue by giving at least one plausible solution.

That said, I expect in all of these cases we can have a spirited
discussion in the project and often find an even better solution.

> Putting things in the "cloud" is probably a pretty decent way to piss
> these people off :-D
>
> Incidentally, apache has decent mirroring mostly because it has its
> own share of beard stroking [1] uber experienced unix [2]
> administrators. They are typically referred to as the infra team, and
> they must also be kept happy and well-fed at all times! [3]

Excellent.  That sounds perfect.

-Rob