"Manfred A. Reiter" <ma.rei...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/08/2011 10:17:02 AM:

> 2011/6/7  <robert_w...@us.ibm.com>:
>
> [...]
>
> > We should be able to check the math from another direction.  Microsoft
> > claims something like 400 million Office users.  Studies looking at
OOo
> > install share show approximately 10%.  Pick some random number between
6
> > and 12 months.  Call it "mean time to upgrade to a new OOo release".
 In
> > my case the random number came out to be 10 months, fortunate for me
for
> > doing the math in my head.  That gives 4 million users
downloading/month.
> > That gives 130,000 downloads/day.  I know that is not the same number
> > quoted, but it is in the ball park.
> >
> > Since this is a large download, I wonder whether the quoted numbers
are
> > impacted at all by timeouts, abandoned downloads attempts, etc.  In
other
> > words, is it counting the HTTP GET's?  Or the successful downloads?
 That
> > may influence the load by quite a bit.  It may even make it worse.
> >
> > And let's not even get started on the burst traffic when a major new
> > release is announced.
> >
> > Of course, this is not necessarily a problem for Apache.  Think of it
this
> > way.  It would be perfectly possible, and actually quite easy for
someone
> > to host the files with a scalable cloud storage provider, e.g.,
Amazon,
> > and charge $0.99 for the download, the cost of an iPhone app.   That
is
> > over $30 million/year.  Heck, I might just do that myself and retire!
> >

> I only would like to know,
>
> whether this posting was really for the apache communtiy mailinglist
> or an IBM internal mailinglist to evolve a businessplan?

This was just a back of the envelope calculation, based on public
information, intended for the list.  The 300,000 downloads/day listed on
the OOo did not sound plausible to me initially, so I wanted to see if I
could confirm or contradict this number independently.

-Rob