On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Danese,
>
> > 3) LOTS of people download OOo
> > Like maybe 10% of the human population of the planet.  And its a big
> file.
> > Initially we engaged Akamai, but it quickly became too expensive. Serving
> up downloads of OOo was pretty intense. I know Apache has all that web
> server download traffic and all...but I'm telling you Sun.com quailed at the
> throughput, and we shouldn't assume our mileage will vary. There will be
> extraordinary infrastructure costs, because it is end-user software (and
> there are a LOT of users worldwide). Sun mitigated this problem with
> mirrors, but of course that screwed download stats.
>
> do you have any numbers?
>
> I am really curious - people are always saying that but I cannot get
> out numbers. I believe all you said, I just would like to know how
> much it is actually
>
> Thanks for the interesting read

OOo used brainstats, and you can get some numbers. There was 'some' number
crunching but that project wasn't updated as usual:
http://stats.openoffice.org/
We used bouncer also as a analytics type system here:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/marketing_bouncer.html
The Mirrobrain-OOo FAQ is also encourage to read.
http://marketing.openoffice.org/marketing_bouncer_faq.html

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español