On Nov 21, 2011, at 18:28 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 11:11 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> Speaking wearing a hat:
>>
>> There is no requirement for monolithic releases. The project can
>> choose whatever units it likes to release, so long as each one of them
>> is fully buildable from the materials voted on in the release. If they
>> want to hold one vote on 400 of them, well, it casts some doubt on
>> whether the voters actually tried them all, but then again many TLPs
>> inspire doubt in my mind as to whether voters are actually testing all
>> the source packages.
>
> If a project is creating 400 discrete "releases", this sounds to me
> like an umbrella project.  Consider the ability to "announce" that
> a new release has occurred, and the frequency with which those would
> be broadcast.
>
> There's nothing wrong with a release model which provides for updated
> components within a much larger project, on a faster release cycle,
> but clear documentation of which have been updated and which components
> are still at their older revision that was previously approved.

This last paragraph is an accurate description of how we setup ACE. It is built
out of components that are assembled in different ways at runtime (using OSGi).
The components themselves embed enough metadata to ensure that (even without
access to the sourcecode or documentation) they can be assembled succesfully.
Like other modular projects within Apache, it is setup so we can easily release
individual components.

Greetings, Marcel