Hi Alex,

re-reading the proposal, a few other questions came to my mind:

1) Flash Player SDK
What are you referring to, when listing the "Adobe Flash Player SDK" under "External Dependencies". The Adobe website says:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer_sdk/
"Sorry, page not available", and then:
As of October 1, 2007, the Macromedia® Flash® Player 7 SDK will no
> longer be available. The migration path for the Flash Player 7 SDK
> is Adobe® Flash Lite™ 3.
The Adobe Flash Lite 3 runtime provides mobile and consumer electronics
> device manufacturers the ability to deliver the most engaging mobile
experiences  across devices.
Does the Flash Player SDK still exist as a product?

2) Action Script Virtual Machine (AVM)
In November 2006 Adobe open source the Flash Player Script engine:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/press/mozilla-2006-11-07.html
Is the source code of Tamarin still the current version of the Action Script Virtual Machine in Flash Player 11? If there is a new version of the AVM (2+), will that be contributed to the Apache Software Foundation as well?

It doesn't really make sense to only contribute a compiler, if there is no open source implementation of a runtime/scripting engine available, but that might only be my personal view. If the community would decide to create a an open standards based runtime for Flex, would that mean the community would have to start from zero?

3) Commercial support for Apache Flex
Does Adobe plan to offer support for an Apache Flex product? If yes, what kind of support would be planned. I read somewhere that Adobe will not offer any support for Flex 4.6+ to new customers, but I'm not sure, if that's still the current plan.

4) Flash Player
Are there any plans to open source a stripped-down version of Flash Player, e.g. the discontinued version of Flash Player for mobile) in the future (similar to the pure open source Flex SDK vs. the commercial SDK)? The Apache community could continue working on a browser-based mobile runtime for Apache Flex, if that was the case.

I hope I don't sound to skeptical here, but Adobe Flex is quite different from most Apache projects I've been in contact with. It's a powerful compiler with an interesting language, but it looks like the output of the compiler can only be used with Adobe-owned proprietary software at the moment.

Raju

Hi everyone,

I would like to propose Flex to be an Apache Incubator project.

Here's a link to the proposal:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FlexProposal

Thank you,

Alex Harui