On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 06:34, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Hyrum K Wright
> <hyrum.wri...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> The Incubator proposal was publicized and discussed on trac-dev
>> *simultaneously* with the discussion on general@incubator, and the
>> reception was generally indifferent (as Greg mentioned earlier)
>
> To add some pointers to this, the trac-dev discussion thread is at
> [1]. A related vote was just called at [2].
>
> The question about the fork status was also brought up [3] on general@
> during discussion, and was IMHO answered pretty well [4].
>
> Obviously the fear of this being "seen as a hostile fork" did become
> reality at least for some, so I guess there's a lesson here for us
> all.

Note that the Trac principals suggested the fork with a "let's see
where it goes" view. It is just a few of the other committers that are
taking issue with Bloodhound. This can be seen simply by reading the
thread on trac-dev.

I think it important to highlight that trac-dev was notified on Dec 2
of the Bloodhound proposal, but Ethan and others didn't even notice
for three weeks. The activity level on trunk, and the active
committers can be seen on Ohloh:
  http://www.ohloh.net/p/trac/contributors?sort=latest_commit

Looking at the timeline on trac.edgewall.org, it seems many of the
commits are release-related or possibly on dev branches. It is kind of
hard to tell. Trunk is certainly minimal activity.

Christian is the most active committer
(http://www.ohloh.net/p/trac/contributors/13108240188505) and has been
supportive of the Bloodhound effort.

When I looked at this, a number of months ago, I never felt that we
were "forking" an active project. The Trac community revolves mostly
around the plugins rather than the core. I see Bloodhound as improving
the core facilities (new features and hauling in certain plugins),
resulting in a better default distribution (right now, you need to add
a dozen plugins to get a useful Trac install). This kind of work has
not been happening on the (core) Trac project.

Cheers,
-g