On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>>> ...I'm saying that the *ASF* should avoid judging. We allow competition
>>> among
>>> projects. We accept projects with hard problems and low chances of success.
>>> We accept projects that some don't want us to. We should not judge. We
>>> should provide a home to communities that want to be here.
>>
>> I have no problem with competition among projects and everything else you
>> say in the paragraph above. The only issue I have is that we can't take some
>> other project's code and use it as the basis for a project here if the
>> original project objects.  It still isn't clear to me what the consensus is
>> at Trac, but it certainly isn't overwhelmingly in favor...
>
> I agree that we don't want to support an unfriendly fork of Trac in
> Bloodhound, but as you say there doesn't seem to be an official
> consensus from the Trac project about this.

It might help to note that the policy is that ASF requires that
contributions be voluntary on the part of the people granting the
license to the ASF. That's not necessarily the same thing as 'makes
the current community happy' and it's not necessarily different --
depending on the IP status.

it looks to me as if the relevant item is "Copyright (C) 2003-2010
Edgewall Software ". So, if 'Edgewall Software" is voluntarily making
a grant, then the letter of the policy is satisfied -- even if there
are individuals in the development community who are less than
thrilled. If, on the other hand, the proposal is to just take the code
on the basis of its public license, with no expression of volition
from the owner, then I'd agree with others who see this as contrary to
the stated policy.

Nonetheless, I'm curious as to hear from Roy and Sam. Roy was
certainly the clearest articulator of this policy the last time I
recall it coming around.