On Jan 2, 2012 10:51 PM, "Ralph Goers" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Greg, I do not care one bit how much commit activity happens at Trac. As
long as there is some kind of active community it is improper to fork it
without their permission.

Eh? You ever read the "rules for revolutionaries" page? The basic concept
is: don't try to force two communities into one; when separate visions for
the project occur, then separate them.

I don't see it as our place to *judge* communities. If it is a fork, or a
corporate spin-out, or a move, or brand new... All Good. We provide a
temporary home in the Incubator to see if it can become a good, proper, and
healthy Apache community. We don't turn them away a-priori based on their
history.

In my mind, the Trac core has slowed, and it needs revitalization and a new
vision. Others may disagree, and do, and that's fine. But I don't think it
is fine for us to make judgements of communities (or nascent ones!) who
want to try something new. To pick up and go in a direction that others are
not heading, or do not have the time to make.

> Most of the concern seems to be that they would like to be able to
incorporate whatever work is done in Bloodhound back into Trac but under a
BSD license. I'm not sure why they have concerns about incorporating Apache
licensed code but simply working something out could be helpful. I suspect
hosting this project in git would also help.

I responded on trac-dev about the licensing to help answer those
questions/concerns. Git won't help since it isn't magic sauce for
licensing; it's just a tool.

Cheers,
-g