On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> On Feb 3, 2012, at 5:55 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> [...snip...]
>>>
>>> So that's 7 of 9 board members that are on the Incubator PMC, and
>>> a good chance they are here now, and reading this.
>>>
>>> What do Board members think? IPMC hats on? Great. Board
>>> hats on? Great too. Would be great to get opinions now
>>> rather than have to wait.
>>
>> I respectfully decline to commit one way or another, due
>> to the possibility of it unduly (possibly) swaying things
>> one way or another. I'd prefer the discussion to continue,
>> unfettered, and all of a sudden having director's plop
>> in their opinions will, almost for sure, affect that.
>
> I respect your opinion Jim, but honestly would love
> to hear some feedback from you on this.

Incubation is needed. I think we all agree about that.

What has the most significant effect on success, or failure of
podlings? Is it the IPMC, or the mentor/PPMC interaction?
IMO, it's the latter.

Assuming we agree about that, then how do we "fix" things...
or, in other words, what mechanism do we use to help watch
the watchers... IMO, that has been and is the duty of the
IPMC. Is the IPMC doing that well? It seems that there
is some opinion that it is not...

For those who think that way, is there the underlying assumption
that all podlings must succeed? That somehow a more "active"
IPMC could turn things around?

IMO, an Incubator (who watches the watchers) is needed; it
needs to exist to review not how the podlings themselves
are doing, but how the mentors are doing. There needs to
be a VERY clear chain of responsibility, and adding new
roles and tasks only makes sense if it *simplifies* things
or fills holes.

Mentors guide the podlings... they encourage. But the podling
lives or dies by how *it* handles that guidance and encouragement.
If the mentor is failing in his/her task, that is up to the IPMC
to know and act upon.

Mentors worry about how the podling is doing. The IPMC worries
about how the mentors are doing. That's as complex as it needs
to be.