Jim, I think you have expressed my concerns perfectly.

Mentors care for the podlings. Someone has to care for the mentors.

Not all mentors need help, not all podlings need help. We should provide
*support* all the way down for when it is needed. We should not confuse
interference with support.

GSoC was announced yesterday, we have enough experienced admins available
already. This means I am now happy, as ComDev chair to be active in a new
podling mentor support model. I look forward to figuring out the right
balance with those who want to make it happen.

Ross