----- Original Message -----

So rename site-author to "content".  That'd be step 1 precisely.

> However, there are support files in other directories, in particular
> the lib/ directory.

That has no material impact on what I'm proposing: just leave those
where they are.

>>  2) to figure out what command-line arguments to pass to ant or to build.sh
> or
>>  whatever to tell it to build to a specified target directory also named
> "content"
>>  but with a different base directory.
>
> The output currently goes to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-publish.
>
> I think most files under site-publish are derived from site-author;
> however there are probably some that are only in site-publish.
> For example, .htaccess seems to be only in site-publish.

Well that would need to go into the "content" dir and ant would need
to copy it over to the target "content" dir.

> Probably the first task is to ensure that all site-publish files are
> derivable from site-author.

Yes.

> Can then rename the input directory, and fix up the build file.
>
> Changing the output directory would be a bit more involved as it is
> used for the workspace on minotaur.

Well can't we make this configurable?  I mean cmon it's 2012, surely
we can pass some argument to build.sh that tells it to use a different
directory other than site-publish.

> Would it be possible to switch to the eventual svnpubsub target
> without actually switching to CMS yet?
> Could then switch the workspace on minotaur to use the new content
> output directory.
>
> Once that's working, then CMS could be plugged in.

I've outlined the approach I recommend- to rename the source dir,
make everything that's in the output dir come from the build process
(not necessarily the source dir), and to make the target dir a command-line
option to build.sh / ant / whatever.  That would entail no material changes
to the workflow for this project other than editing stuff in content
instead of site-author, and will allow migration to the CMS at any
point down the road.

If you prefer your approach, all you need to do is change the site-publish
dir to an svn external pointing at the
infra/websites/production/incubator/content
dir in the infra repo.  I think that will just confuse things more than
it will help for the time being tho.