As another point of reference, there is at least one case I'm aware of where
we HAD to put some code developed at Apache into non-org.apache namespace in
order for the code to work.   This was taken up on legal discuss and, at the
time, no issues about doing so were raised.

See:
http://s.apache.org/WzP

And the CXF bug:

In this case, it was new code developed at Apache and in the org.apache.cxf
namespace, but in order for the code to actual work, there were shims
necessary in com.sun.    Now, this is a slightly different case in that no
end-users would likely ever call (or really even see) this code.   It's just
need to plugin into an external tool.

So, IMO, code at Apache SHOULD be developed in the org.apache namespace, but
projects need to be able to have some flexibility to use their judgment to
figure out what is best for the needs of their community.   Projects should be
encouraged to keep code outside org.apache to a minimum via shims or similar
and also encourage end users to migrate to using the code in the org.apache
namespace as soon as possible.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp