On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org> wrote:
>> They are proposing adding Hue, which is a Apache licensed project on
>> Github.
>
> Does Hue match the guidelines in http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html?
>
> If yes, then it's fine by ASF policy for an Apache project to include it.
>
> Is there some other reason why BigTop shouldn't be adding Hue?

Hue is Apache licensed, so that isn't an issue. The issue is that
Bigtop is planning on distributing non-Apache software for the primary
purpose of providing it to their users. It seems to me pretty
fundamental that Apache projects should only distribute Apache
software except as a dependency. Bigtop is only including Hue to
provide it to their users with no dependency at all.

It would be great if Cloudera were to contribute Hue to Apache. Unless
they do, I really don't think it is appropriate for us to distribute
standalone binary packages of their project from Apache's servers.

-- Owen