On Nov 26, 2012, at 12:57 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Actually there is activity. Only in September 2 new committers joined.
> Looking at SVN, there is activity too:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/chukwa/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/chukwa/
>
> Unfortunately the most active committer - if not the only one - is Eric.
>
> For me (others may correct me) a successful incubator project is one
> which manages to build up a community around it. While it seems that
> Chukwa aims at it:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-chukwa-dev/201209.mbox/%3CCAFk14gt_8bwOZ3=2bmmksjmpftovh2_s+ncrya3by9yo4hz...@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> the project has not managed to get a momentum.
>
> On the other hand, I saw in the private archives that some legal
> restrictions have been resolved.
>
> Question:
>
> How does the Chukwa project want to build up a new community?
>
> Personally - if there is a plan and interest to make community work
> (however that looks like) - I would be open to leave Chukwa a little
> longer in incubation. Esp. because it seems that committers can now
> work more freely on it.
>
> Maybe we can make up some kind of deadline?

Seven months ago we had this same discussion when I joined as a mentor.  There
was not a lot of activity other than Eric and I raised concerns about maybe it
was time to retire the project.  A variety of excuses were offered up and it
was decided to wait a while and hope that the community activity would grow.

We even added a few committers a "bit early" with the hopes that they would
infuse the project with more energy.

IMO, not much changed.  The flurry of activity is from Eric every time a
discussion about retirement arises.

As for the "now that committers can work more freely on it" is not exactly
clear. My understanding is that there were some patches developed at IBM and
those patches are now going through legal.  I tried to dig deeper into what
exactly was being held up and all I received was equivocation.

Even by the PPMC's comments they obliquely acknowledge that there's not much
activity and expressed an interested in simply keeping it around with the hopes
that something would happen; there were no concrete ideas or plans on how to
grow the community because, by their own admission, no one has the time to work
much on the project.  I replied "To be sure, the infrastructure and
administrative costs are negligible.  So, we don't need to worry on that
account.  However, the ASF Incubator is not a place where you can hang your
shingle up and hope that someday someone will wander by and be interested. "
Chukwa has been in the Incubator for years now.

Maybe that's what we want the Incubator to be.  If that's the case then let's
make this new policy explicit.  Until then, I will follow my understanding that
a project cannot just simply park itself in the Incubator hoping for the party
to arrive.

Regards,
Alan