On 25/01/2013 Benson Margulies wrote:
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
What about Apache OpenOffice?
I asked this question about Open Office, and I got, more or less, what
I typed in above. I was puzzled, but there you have it. As I recall,
Roy made a remark like 'our real users are people who will take the
source of Open Office ...'.

This is not exactly the way the OpenOffice project sees this. We are voting on a release right now, and of course we put great care in ensuring that the source code is clean and that it can be used by our downstream projects to build upon; but we also make extensive tests on the "convenience" binaries, since we know that our largest group of users is the 35 millions and counting who already downloaded the approved binaries.

Regards,
  Andrea.