Kevin:

Makes complete sense.

I'd like to offer to join the project, if it's accepted for incubation. I'm
a committer on MRUnit and Flume, and on the PMC for both. I've helped both
projects through the incubation phase, and I also know a little bit about
this Hadoop thing. ;)

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Kevin Minder
<kevin.min...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> === Alignment ===
>>>
>>> The ASF is a natural host for Gateway given that it is already the home
>>> of
>>> Hadoop, Hive, Pig, HBase, Oozie and other emerging big data software
>>> projects. Gateway is designed to solve the security challenges familiar
>>> the Hadoop ecosystem family of projects.
>>>
>>> == Known Risks ==
>>>
>>> === Orphaned products & Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>>
>>> The core developers plan to work full time on the project. We believe
>>> that
>>> this project will be of general interest to many Hadoop users and will
>>> attract a diverse set of contributors. We intend to demonstrate this by
>>> having contributors from several organizations recognized as committers
>>> by
>>> the time Knox graduates from incubation.
>>>
>>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>>>
>>> All of the core developers are active users and followers of open source.
>>> As well, Hortonworks has a strong heritage of success with contributions
>>> Apache Hadoop Projects.
>>>
>>> === Homogeneous Developers ===
>>>
>>> The current core developers are from Hortonworks, however, we hope to
>>> establish a developer community that includes contributors from several
>>> corporations.
>>>
>>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>>
>>> Currently, the developers are paid to do work on Gateway. However, once
>>> the project has a community built around it, we expect to get committers
>>> and developers from outside the current core developers.
>>>
>>> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>>>
>>> Gateway is going to be used by the users and operators of Hadoop, and the
>>> Hadoop ecosystem in general.
>>>
>>> === A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>>
>>> Our interest in developing Gateway in Apache project is to follow an
>>> established development model, as well since many of the Hadoop ecosystem
>>> projects also are part of Apache, Gateway will complement those projects
>>> by
>>> following the same development and contribution model.
>>>
>>> == Documentation ==
>>>
>>> There is documentation in Hortonworks’ internal repositories. These can
>>> be
>>> shared upon request and will be transferred into the Apache CM system if
>>> this proposal is accepted.
>>>
>>> == Initial Source ==
>>>
>>> The source is currently in Hortonworks’ internal repositories. The
>>> process
>>> of making this GitHub repository public has been started and the URL will
>>> be provided once available.
>>>
>>> == Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==
>>>
>>> The complete Gateway code is under Apache Software License 2.
>>>
>>> == External Dependencies ==
>>>
>>> The Gateway dependencies are listed below, separated by Category A and
>>> Category B as defined in the Apache Third-Party Licensing Policy. Note:
>>> These are the direct dependencies. Indirect dependencies are not

>>> commons-cli:commons-cli#1.2
>>> commons-codec:commons-codec#1.****7
>>> org.apache.commons:commons-****digester3#3.2

>>> org.eclipse.jetty:jetty-****servlet#8.1.7.v20120910