On May 11, 2013, at 7:33 AM, Joseph Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Frankly I find the notion that the board will do a better job of MENTORING
> these projects than the IPMC to be batshit insane, but that's just me.
> We need manpower, and there is plenty of that available amongst the competent
> volunteers who actively participate in these projects.  Let's just do
> what's easiest for once and promote these folks to the IPMC in order
> to get the job done right.  It's a proven model that we need to stop
> fighting.

Yes, shuttling the kids off the the grandparents is not going to solve
anything.  If individuals on the board have the bandwidth to help they should
come over here. There's nothing specific about the auspices of the board that
would improve the situation.

I personally think that we have "almost" enough people to mentor.  I think that
the burnout comes from our constant churning of policy and lack of tooling to
make mundane tasks easier.

For example, maybe
better reminders for reports
automatic nudging of mentors who have not signed reports
dead pilot buttons to detect inactive mentors (Is it called a dead pilot button)
maybe a standard to podling releases to make vetting easier - i.e. apply tooling
changes/additions to vetting procedures taking place outside of release votes.
(ok not a tooling issue)

Regards,
Alan