This argument reminds me of the current debate in Congress about whether or not
military sex offense reporting should remain within the chain of command.
Proponents argue that it's hard to hold commanders accountable if they aren't
empowered to act; adversaries say victims are afraid to report while
retribution remains possible.

I don't mean to say we have problems of a similar magnitude here, just to
recognize the fault lines of this debate are likely to fall along these
differences in priorities.

Sent from my iPhone