On Jul 30, 2013, at 8:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
> wrote:
>> ...Bertrand was skeptical about an ASF-wide ombud, but didn't raise any
>> objection
>> to an Incubator-specific position.
>>    http://s.apache.org/NAa
>
> Just laziness on my part...what I said there also applies to an
> Incubator ombudsman, I'll repeat it here: I don't think we need it -
> people should feel
> free to contact people that they trust (IPMC members, mentors, ASF
> members) privately if there's a need, and not having someone elected
> in the ombudsman role means people are free to talk to whoever *they*
> think will help.

An ombudsman is there when all the normal processes don't work.  It alleviates
an organization from from having to heavily codify what to do in all manner of
situations, thus keeping things simple.

I'll note that most of those who seem to think that the position is not needed
are those who are well established and well connected in the ASF community.

I'll also mention a point I made a while back, sometimes it's better to have an
ombudsman look into things rather than a random ASF member.

Regards,
Alan