On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2013, at 8:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
>> wrote:
>>> ...Bertrand was skeptical about an ASF-wide ombud, but didn't raise any
>>> objection
>>> to an Incubator-specific position.
>>>    http://s.apache.org/NAa
>>
>> Just laziness on my part...what I said there also applies to an
>> Incubator ombudsman, I'll repeat it here: I don't think we need it -
>> people should feel
>> free to contact people that they trust (IPMC members, mentors, ASF
>> members) privately if there's a need, and not having someone elected
>> in the ombudsman role means people are free to talk to whoever *they*
>> think will help.
>
> An ombudsman is there when all the normal processes don't work.  It
> alleviates an organization from from having to heavily codify what to do in
> all manner of situations, thus keeping things simple.

Can you point me to any cases where "normal processes" didn't work
which can be fixed with the Ombud?
I know we have problems releasing packages. The Ombud will not make a
difference here.
I know we have problems overseeing projects. Shepherds have helped
here. Nothing to do for an Ombud.

What else can an Ombudsperson do instead of general@?

> I'll note that most of those who seem to think that the position is not
> needed are those who are well established and well connected in the ASF
> community.

I am still asking my questions on general@, and never in private.
And I have a lot of questions. It's true that I am know quite a few
folks at the ASF, but I ask incubator related questions at general@.
In fact, I consider asking questions in private problematic.

> I'll also mention a point I made a while back, sometimes it's better to have
> an ombudsman look into things rather than a random ASF member.

I am sorry if I missed an important message you already made, but
maybe you can point me to it. I didn't find it easily. I would like to
know what these things are.

Thanks!

Christian

PS: I appreciate this discussion even when I do not agree on the
necessity of the Ombudsperson (yet). The intention - making the
incubator a better place - is highly appreciated

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de