On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the summary Marvin,  how about we take the chance to update our
> policy/documentation to clarify the social norm regarding placement of
> LICENSE/NOTICE in the top level of a distribution but also clarify that,
> any artifact being release by an Apache Project should be reviewed and
> voted, as there were some suggestions on this thread that this was not the
> case. If we can't clarify that on ASF level, at least we can clarify that
> on the IPMC level.

I understand the motivation, but I'm actually in favor of keeping the status
quo.

As Joe Schaefer pointed out, the VOTE only applies to the canonical source
release.  Binary artifacts cannot be official releases of the ASF, and the
IPMC cannot override that policy.

Additionally, we still have a lot of work to do to squash licensing
documentation bugs in our canonical source releases.  When we can't even get
our official releases right, I don't think it makes sense to dilute our
already thin quality control resources.

Marvin Humphrey