On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org> wrote:
> The how-to-release documentation perhaps has more room for interpretation
> than is desirable.

FWIW, I've cleaned up some of the Incubator's Release Management guide and
though it's still messy overall, some chunks are ready for use IMO -- notably
the release checklist we hammered out last December.  The last item in the
checklist addresses this issue:

  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

  Release consists of source code only, no binaries.

Clarifying the Foundation-level release documentation to emphasize that the
ASF only releases source is a Board action item which has been on the back
burner for some time.  If I finish cleaning up the Incubator docs and that
action item is still on the agenda I'll petition to have it assigned to me.

Taking a step back... My feeling about many of the ASF's policy docs is that
they would be clearer if they were formulated using imperatives
(SHOULD/MUST/etc.) rather than as FAQs.  Informational FAQs also have an
unfortunate tendency to harden into policy over time, leading to bloat.

> There had been long discussion in general@ list about what should be contained
>> in release artifacts (with 0.8.1 Spark release) and I believe the
>> conclusion was to avoid executable binaries in the source release
>> artifacts.
>
> I missed this discussion. Probably this conclusion just hasn't surfaced
> into documentation yet.

Here are some emails from Board member Roy Fielding on the subject:

    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-0
    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-1
    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-2
    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-3