On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM, James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 2.2.3 incubating. Phoenix is a
> SQL query engine for Apache HBase, a NoSQL data store.  It is accessed as a
> JDBC driver and enables querying and managing HBase tables using SQL. This
> will be our first release in the incubator.
>
> The RC is available for download at
> http://people.apache.org/~jamestaylor/phoenix-2.2.3-incubating-RC3/ and is
> signed with my code signing key 5F5F3233. The source code may be found in
> http://people.apache.org/~jamestaylor/phoenix-2.2.3-incubating-RC3/phoenix-2.2.3-incubating-src.tar.gzwhile
> a convenience, pre-built binary may be found in
> http://people.apache.org/~jamestaylor/phoenix-2.2.3-incubating-RC3/phoenix-2.2.3-incubating.tar.gz
> .
>
> GIT source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/v2.2.3
> GIT commit:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=commit;h=5e7d071693b6ad4adb758b94d53808a75feeae26

Hi James:

Nice to see phoenix working on a release so rapidly.
This vote is missing a lot of information that makes it much harder to
work with.
Has your dev list seen this vote? If so a link to the [RESULT] of that
vote would be nice. If not, why not? (I couldn't find an RC3 vote in
my hasty look at your archives)
How many binding IPMC votes did you get on your dev list vote? (If you
have enough binding votes, I might not expend the time, while if you
are lacking votes I might be willing to invest the time to help)
The RC2 vote email was a bit better in the last two regards.
Please put the RC# in the subject - this was threaded in my mail
client under an RC2 mail.

Where is your KEYS file? (does phoenix have a space on dist.a.o?) Even
having your key in your LDAP profile would be ok, but you don't link
to the key, which is extra work. You'll need a KEYS file when you
publish anyway.

The NOTICE and LICENSE files are problematic. NOTICE in the source
tarball contains notices for software that simply doesn't exist in the
source tarball. And LICENSE in the convenience binary seems to be
missing licenses for software that is included.
Have a look here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice for more details.

Getting the first release out is always a challenge; the process can
be daunting; but don't get discouraged, it gets easier with every
iteration.

--David