I see two threads here
 - Concerns about graduation of Apache Tez project w.r.t diversity based on the
PPMC html page
 - Community related threads about things like whether diversity is a hard
requirement or how to grow communities.

AFAICT, Hitesh's latest information on the state of the members of the team
(and the updated page) should allay any concerns on diversity.

If people disagree, we can continue this thread along that discussion. If not,
we can close this topic as the graduation discussion/vote proceeds here and
elsewhere.

The other threads may be valuable but OT IMHO and so are better forked into
their own threads.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Jun 23, 2014, at 4:26 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Community building is an organic process that grows on its own accord.
>>>

>> Really, I was going to run away for a bit, but my feeling is that this
>> statement is amazingly naive about how communities are built.
>>
>> Community doesn't just happen.  Community doesn't just grow of its own
>> accord.  Community grows when people make serious, explicit actions to help
>> it grow, to bring in newcomers, to publish plans in many places *before*
>> code is written.
>>
>> Building community is hard work that you have to intend to do.  If you
>> don't do the work, it won't just happen any more than code writes itself.\
>
> +infinity to that!
>
> And in fact, I think this is the crux of this very discussion: as part
> of the graduation criteria an incubating project needs to demonstrate
> that they have understood and mastered that art.  At the end of the
> day the passing grade for incubating is based on that very criteria:
> can a project demonstrate that if allowed to the TLP status it will
> not let its community wane.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE