On 23 November 2014 at 20:37, Sergio Fernández <
sergio.fernan...@salzburgresearch.at> wrote:

> After awaiting for feedback about my proposal, I understand there are
> three different aspects that should be discussed:
>
> * Cost: As Ross pointed, the potential prize is important to evaluate a
> solution. Although I'd love to use the professional services of the
> company, the toolkit is open/free software and be freely used, which moves
> more attention to the next point.
>
> * Infrastructure requirements: Specially in the case we decide to provide
> all by ourselves, such service would have some infrastructure requirements
> that need to be studied, as David correctly pointed.
>
> * Technical proposition: In the end the first two aspect should not be
> critical if the proposition brings some value, to the project-level,
> Incubator or ASF.
>
> I really see strong arguments against the proposal regarding the first two
> aspects. The third is not that easy, since I do not see how such metrics
> should be used for evaluating projects, rather than just bringing some
> indicators.
>
> Before taking the discussion to the next level, where costs and resources
> need to be evaluated, I opened this discussion proposing my time and
> personal resources to provide a simple proof of concept. Then we should
> have more arguments (how much resources are actually required, how useful
> are the indicators the dashboard provides, etc...) to move the discussion
> to the next level.
>
> But of course I'd like to have the good pleasure before investing time. So
> I'd like to ask the following question: is there already any argument to
> say that inevitably the answer of the proof of concept will be negative?

I personally think a proof of concept would be beneficial, and might help
put some of the problems raised in perspective.

Infra are (with full right) concerned about new services which they
potentially need to support if used by many and abandoned by the original
supporter. I believe a proof of concept might end up showing this could be
very simple.

I dont have spare cycles to help with this, but I am available anytime for
questions/test etc.

rgds
jan I.