On 12/23/2014 03:34 PM, sebb wrote:
Flex had three great mentors, but to expect them to be the PMC Chair on
>graduation would have been problematic.  They were great mentors because
>they had lots of experience from their work on other Apache projects, and
>thus didn’t have time to stay active on a new TLP, plus they really
>weren’t users or developers of the technology, just our coaches on the
>Apache Way, and thus wouldn’t be good Chair candidates as they weren’t as
>invested in the technology.  But they did stick around on at least the
>private@ lists and continue to do so even 2 years after graduation where
>we consult them on occasion.  To require that a mentor be an active
>contributor limits the kinds of technologies that can come to Apache to
>only those who can interest someone with a lot of spare cycles.
>
>IMO, the mentors job is to teach, not to lead.
The job of the PMC chair is almost entirely administrative.
They are the link between the board and the PMC and their main role is
to ensure the board gets timely reports and to feed back comments from
the board.

If a PMC is relying on the chair to drive it forward technically, then
I think something has gone wrong with the PMC.

Indeed. Big +1 on this.

There are some projects that I've been watching lately where the PMC chair is viewed as the project lead, and that has a number of problems that go along with it. The PMC chair is a secretary, whose job is to file the right paperwork. A *hugely* important role, but not a technical lead role.

--
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon